The IV Lounge
Nutritional IV Therapy at the Toronto Functional Medicine Centre
Revitalize Your Health with Intravenous Drip Injection Therapies
WELLNESS BEGINS AT THE IV LOUNGE, A DIVISION OF THE TORONTO FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE CENTRE
Revive your mind and body today at the IV Lounge in Toronto. Elevate your wellness with custom-made IV vitamin drip therapy and integrative functional medicine programs. Read on to learn about IV drip therapy, its beneficial effects and how to get the treatment.
About Our IV Treatments
Patients want to be treated as individuals, which we believe is an essential part of health care. Our IV infusion therapies and complementary medicine are based on the principles of integrative functional medicine, which consider each patient as a unique entity. This means that each IV vitamin drip caters to your chief health concerns only, while heightening nutrient absorption and levels in the body.
Our roster of vitamin IV drips contains custom-made doses of natural key ingredients, compounded daily into freshly made drips. Key ingredients may contain therapeutic doses of vitamin C, antioxidants, and other nourishing elements. Every intravenous therapy drip is tailored to help optimize immune function, revive energy levels, and upgrade cellular functioning.
3 Must-Know Facts About IV Therapy in Toronto
- Vitamin IV drip therapy is directed into the bloodstream and naturally bypasses your digestion. You then avoid unwanted side effects that can occur from ingesting some oral supplements (i.e. high doses of oral magnesium and vitamin C supplements).
- As per studies, vitamin and mineral dosages must reach “pharmacological” levels to affect the body. However, when oral supplements like high doses of vitamin C are consumed, the body cannot absorb them at those levels. This is because the intestines already have a limited ability to absorb this vitamin. For example, 500mg of a vitamin C tablet can lead to marginally less vitamin C being absorbed. Rather, IV therapy, such as intravenous high-dose vitamin C, avoids the digestive tract and directly enters the bloodstream.
- Dehydration can be detrimental to the body, decreasing physical performances and causing headaches and fatigue. The first thought would be to drink water, but when you drink liquid, it can take almost 120 minutes for the body to improve hydration. (Just like eating food, liquid drinks must be digested first). IV therapy though quickly hydrates and restores energy levels because it circumvents the digestive tract.
What’s In Your Intravenous Drip
Each IV drip contains a vitamin cocktail that aids in hydration and detoxification, plus a concentration of vitamins that your body cannot absorb through oral supplements.
These vitamin therapies may include a combination of ingredients such as: high-dose vitamin C (ascorbic acid), a medley of amino acids, additional B vitamins, glutathione, and/or other beneficial ingredients that promote cellular energy production and optimal functioning.
IV THERAPY OFFERED BY OUR practitioners
IV BOOSTER SHOTS
Who Can Get IV Therapy
An IV vitamin drip treatment is suitable for patients with compromised digestive systems and/or an aversion to consuming pills.
IV therapy may also be used as adjuvant treatment alongside chemotherapy and radiation. If you want nutrients to reach your bloodstream promptly to help instigate a response, IV therapy may also be an option for you.
Additionally, individuals who are often physically active may find intravenous therapy beneficial, as key ingredients may aid in recovery from injuries.
IV Therapy in Toronto: Beneficial Effects
Our bodies are composed of cells. If our cells are not healthy, we may not be optimally healthy. So keep in mind that IV therapy replenishes your cells with high concentrations of nutrients, such as vitamins and minerals, amino acids, and electrolytes. Other benefits of this treatment include:
- Improves hydration and supports energy levels. Also detoxifies the liver, kidneys and lymphatic system.
- May be used for post-exercise recovery (i.e. tissue repair) and adjunct support therapy for various health concerns.
- When combined with a wellness program, such as those from the Toronto Functional Medicine Centre, IV therapy may strengthen immunity and reduce fatigue, pain, and inflammation.
How IV Therapy Works at the Toronto Functional Medicine Centre
Before your first drip treatment, our IV therapy in Toronto providers need to customize your formula. This happens by getting to know you at your initial consultation.
After we determine your personal ingredients and prepare the drip bag, it’s ready to be delivered into your circulatory system. Because the mixture of vitamins does not reach your digestive system (only the bloodstream), nutrients can be absorbed swiftly without unwanted side effects like diarrhea and cramping.
What to Expect at Your IV Drip Visit
At the IV Lounge in Toronto, we believe that every session counts for reaching optimal health. In fact, your initial appointment is a joint consultation with our functional medicine naturopathic doctor and our IV therapy providers (nurse practitioner and/or medical doctor). Take note: this 30-45 minute consultation is mandatory for patients receiving their first IV vitamin therapy infusion at our clinic. This is ensures that an IV drip is appropriate for your body. If you have a complex health condition that requires further attention, a detailed assessment is necessary.
To understand your current health status, a complete diagnostic and profiling service is offered to all patients. This may require you to complete functional medicine lab tests (i.e. stool testing, blood test, hormone testing, metabolic testing, etc.), which helps us understand the root cause of health issues and pinpoint and correct nutritional deficiencies. Knowing this helps our wellness practitioners customize your intravenous vitamin drip.
In particular, blood testing helps our IV therapy providers establish which ingredients are proper for your drip and to ensure that there are no contraindications. Tests that may be required prior to receiving IV drip therapy include:
- Complete Blood Count (CBC) and Differential
- Kidney Function Panel
- Liver Function Panel
- Lipid Panel
(NOTE: Before your initial high-dose vitamin C drip, you must undergo a glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase (G6PD) test. Patients with G6PD deficiencies cannot metabolize high levels of IV vitamin C, which is why blood work is vital to consider before administering high-dose vitamin C. Please call (416) 968-6961 if you have questions about blood testing or if you have a complex health condition.)
Preparing for Your Toronto IV Drip Appointment
Please try to do these things before your first or subsequent IV therapy appointment:
- Drink water before your time slot. This helps your veins become palpable for your session.
- Some IV vitamins and minerals may lower blood sugar and blood pressure levels. Do eat a snack before your appointment to elevate blood sugar levels and prevent dizziness. No time for a snack? Let our IV providers know. We can provide snacks and prepare for possible lightheadedness that you might experience.
- Park a few blocks away and walk to our clinic. This is because physical movement tends to heighten the blood flow directed at the muscles, which is what we want before administering an IV drip. The blood flow from arteries moves speedily compared to the blood outflow from our veins. This can cause a slight backup in the veins, resulting in dilated blood vessels.
- Try not to take antihistamines and decongestants prior to an IV drip. These medications can prompt a constricting effect on the blood vessels, preventing us from finding your vein during an IV treatment. If you must take these medications, please be hydrated before your appointment, eat a snack, and take a quick walk or jog beforehand.
- If you’re feeling nervous when you arrive, take a few minutes to relax. We recommend a deep-breathing exercise to relieve tension. When you sit in your session’s lounge chair, take slow deep belly breaths like this:
- Put one hand over your chest and the other hand over your lower abdominal area.
- Closely watch the hand on your lower abdominal area move outward during each breath. Is your hand on your abdominal area not expanding outward? Then focus on your abdominal area outward as you inhale.
- Try this five times before your IV therapy drip.
Our Other Toronto Wellness Services
Our health care practitioners are proud to provide patients with a wide range of integrative naturopathic and functional medicine. Conditions and concerns that we treat include: chronic fatigue syndrome and other chronic health conditions, dehydration, detoxification, nutritional deficiencies, oxidative stress, cellular healing support, post- cancer recovery, athletic recovery, postsurgical recovery, adrenal function, blood pressure concerns, issues with blood sugar levels, autoimmune disease, among others.
Along with IV vitamin drip therapy, medications, nutraceuticals, herbal medicine, acupuncture, bio-identical hormone therapy may be recommended.
Do you have any questions about nutritional IV therapy? Our private downtown clinic is accepting new patients for integrative functional medicine and vitamin IV therapy in Toronto. CONTACT US today to book your appointment!